Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sailin' Through Saturdays

I just love my Saturday's these days. I used to feel like I DESERVED to sleep in till 10 and then slither to the recliner and veg on TLC and HGTV shows and throw my kid a pop tart if he got hungry. I used to play this poor me act and deceive myself into thinking I needed my "Me" time after a long week at work.


Well I am so glad that I have been saved from a self-centered lifestyle! I still have my moments but I realize that no day truly belongs to me. They are all days the Lord has given to me as a gift. We all know, believers or not, that you can be here today but gone tomorrow so why shouldn't I make the most of any day, especially Saturdays, to be a blessing and to make the most of them?

So my NEW Saturdays include getting up around 6:30 or 7am (most days), Bible study, exercising, catch up on chores, soccer game mid-day, lunch and then get caught up on tedious projects at home that I can't get done during the week, grocery shop and sometimes a playdate at the park. Today however, I have been feeling a little "sluggish" and have been blog lurking. I turned my "lurking" into productivity though!

This afternoon I made homemade tomoto soup that I got from Tammy's Recipes. My mom and dad had a great crop of tomatos this year and I needed to do something with them before they went bad. I have to say, this is the BEST tomato soup. It beats the canned stuff for sure! It does take a lot more time obviously but I made a large enough batch to have a few bowls right away and then froze the rest in baggies. It made so much soup that I'll have enough for several months. Not to mention that I can turn some of the soup into pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce. The best part? It's super cheap.

I also decided to try to make my own iced coffee. It's a great recipe I got from another blog I lurk in from time to time. How ingenius is it to freeze leftover coffee? Why didn't I think of this before? I always have just a wee little bit left in the pot when I leave for work and now I just pour the last few drops into the ice tray. I just made mine and it is delicious! I made a little different variation though. I added a little vanilla extract and some of Eian's Nesquick to make it an Iced Coffee Vanilla Mocha! Instead of feeling guilty for being wasteful and leaving a few drops of leftover coffee I'll now look at those last wonderful drops as my little Saturday treat!

Well I'm off to have some Momma and Son time and finish a few chores! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday and I pray you have an even better Lord's Day tomorrow!

1 comment:

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Sounds like a wonderful Saturday! It is hard to balance "me" time and "family" time as a working mom - we need a little time to ourselves, but we also crave time with our family since we are away from them during the weekday. Glad to hear you've found a nice balance, doesn't it feel good? :)

Your iced coffee and tomato soup both sound wonderful!

Blessings,
Steph